Monday, May 23, 2011

You go, girlfriend!

Today I am in love with the internet and the opportunities it offers us. Since having Jo I have been working from home for my Dad doing research and other marketing projects. It has been the best thing for my mental health, has kept me away from the baby blues, and I feel like a better mom every time I take a few hours to work on projects that help me learn. Today I stumbled across this video, a presentation given by Facebook's COO Sheryl Sandberg. I thoroughly enjoyed the advice she gives to women everywhere who are balancing work and home life. Not only is her presentation flawless, she gives the whole thing in 4 inch heels. Impressive!


PS My religious views on gender roles are found here. (Did you know I'm Mormon!?!?)
PSS I wrote a post on Latin feminism a few years ago that I feel like you should read here.

8 comments:

Alison said...

stop being so driven! Let's go to the mall :)

Jordan P said...

thanks for sharing this!! glad to hear you and jo are doing so great. xo

Mame said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mame said...

ohmygosh I am mortified that was so long!

andrea said...

Mame,

Thanks for your comment! The women in the work place conversation is a crazy one! Everyone has very different opinions and I think that is how it should be. As women we need to find a balance that makes us happy, works with our spouse, and makes us feel at peace with God. I also don't agree 100% with every opinion she shares but I found her words really inspiring. Thanks for your feedback! Hope you and the little ones are doing well. Say hi to your parents!

Mame said...

Andrea - let me say again, I am a little mortified that was so long and if I could delete it I probably would. And what you said in your response about each woman doing what works for them, their spouse, and being at peace with our Father in Heaven - is all that should really matter...perfectly beautifully said.

My little ones are great - I see lots of pics of yours on Alison's blog as well :o) Both your girls are SO cute and what fun that they can be so close. My parents say Hola!

Kelsey said...

My boyfriend sent me this video right after I (almost) got bullied out of authorship on a report by a boy. I can't really engage in the 'motherhood vs. workplace' debate because I'm only partaking in one of those arenas at the moment, but I think she makes really good points about being at the table and being assertive. This AND the article on non-Morman stalkerage of Morman-mother blogs!?! I'm glad we're consuming the same articles/videos despite not having seen you in ages :). Love you!

Merry said...

I loved this! So many of the things she said can apply to our efforts in other areas of our lives outside of work. We need to not leave before we leave in anything that makes our lives fulfilling.